2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE
Mercedes-Benz has thoroughly revised its best-seller in the SUV segment. Even at first glance, the new 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE blends tradition and modernity. Classic SUV elements meet modern Mercedes-Benz design and form a convincing whole. On one hand, the confident appearance of the GLE is enhanced with the typical stylistic features of all generations: the characteristic C-pillar and the harmoniously integrated rear side window have been an integral part since this model series started in 1997. At the same time, elements of the modern Mercedes-Benz design idiom catch the eye. Radiator grille, bumpers, headlamps, wings and the hood with its two power domes follow the current sensuous and clear design idiom of Mercedes-Benz.
Efficiency meets the joy of driving in the 2016 GLE SUV. In addition to the appealing design, the variable driving experience thanks to DYNAMIC SELECT and the assistance systems familiar from the E-Class and S-Class, the GLE impresses with an extensive engine line-up. From diesel to hybrid, efficient and powerful powertrain options with four, six or eight cylinders are available to choose from.
- The (201-hp) four-cylinder diesel model GLE 300d offers superior performance with an all-time low fuel consumption for this class of vehicles. It is the world’s first production full-size SUV with conventional drive that under the European cycle emits just 140 g of CO2/km (5.4 l/100 km).
- No less impressive is the first Mercedes-Benz SUV with plug-in hybrid technology. A system output of 436 HP in the GLE 550e 4MATIC® guarantees brilliant performance, and with a power consumption of 16.7 kWh/100 km, the GLE 500e 4MATIC® is the benchmark in this market segment. In addition, the hybrid model is capable of up to 30 km (18.6 mi) of all-electric driving.
- The new GLE 550e 4MATIC® with plug-in hybrid drive combines the power and refinement of a V8 engine with the fuel consumption of a three-liter car and the versatility of a premium SUV. The drive system components comprise a V6 direct injection gasoline engine with 329 hp and a hybrid module with 114 hp of electric power. The system peak torque is a massive 479 lbs-ft. In addition to impressive acceleration thanks to the boost function, the innovative system drive also offers all-electric driving at speeds up to 81 mph, optimized energy recovery thanks to the intelligent operating strategy and comfort functions such as pre-entry climate control in summer and winter.
- The GLE 400 4MATIC® is powered by a direct-injection twin-turbo V6 engine with spray-guided combustion, new piezo injectors and MSI multi-spark ignition. This engine produces an output of 329 hp and 354 lbs-ft of torque from 1400 rpm and makes do on 8.8 l/100 km or 209 g CO2/km (NEDC combined) on the European cycle.
- With the start of the new GLE generation, the diesel model will be equipped with the optionally available off-road reduction gear and inter-axle differential lock. The transmission is fitted with a new type of torque converter with a high efficiency of 92 percent and a wide spread of 9.15 across the nine speeds. Both contribute to the high energy efficiency of the GLE models. A double turbine torsional damper with centrifugal pendulum and the torque converter lock-up clutch with return spring ensure the extremely refined operation typical of the brand. Depending on the mode selected for the DYNAMIC SELECT variable dynamic handling control system, the 7G-TRONIC impresses with great agility and responsiveness or poised composure.
- The AMG® GLE 63 4MATIC® is now stronger, and more appealing than ever with an expanded model line-up and even more power. Following the introduction of the new naming logic, the successor of the successful Mercedes-Benz ML 63 AMG® is now called the Mercedes-AMG® GLE 63. The AMG® 5.5-liter twinturbo V8 engine is even more powerful than before: in addition to the basic variant developing 550 hp, there is also the highly sporty S-Model to choose from which is rated at 577 hp. The chassis was completely revised to deliver even better driving dynamics and agility. The throttle response of the engine and the shift times of the transmission are now on a new, even sportier level and thereby underscore the hallmark AMG® Driving Performance. With the characteristic AMG® family face featuring “A-wing” and twin-blade radiator grille, the power SUV also has a more dynamic appearance than before.
In the interior, the larger media display stands out, which is now partially integrated into the instrument panel. The center console houses the COMAND® controller with the touchpad fitted above in an optimal ergonomic position. The extensive range of standard equipment of the new GLE is based on the predecessor model, enhanced with new assistance systems such as Crosswind Assist and COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS. ECO-START®/STOP function, the DYNAMIC SELECT controller on the center console, the revised multifunction steering wheel as well as the Audio 20 CD infotainment system with 7-inch display and communications module for the use of Mercedes-Benz connect me services are also part of the standard delivery scope.
- Intuitive head unit with available 8-inch display screen
- Available AIRMATIC® air suspension with ADS variable damping
- Available ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM roll stabilization system
- Available DISTRONIC PLUS® with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot
- Up to 7,700 lbs. towing capacity (non-diesel models)
- BAS® PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist
- Active Blind Spot Assist
- Active Lane Keeping Assist and PRESAFE® PLUS
- EASY-PACK liftgate
- Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC
Efficiency meets performance in the all-new 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE from Mercedes-Benz of Jackson serving Ridgeland, Madison, Brandon, Pearl, Richland, Florence, Clinton and Jackson, MS!